Saturday, January 5, 2013

Bacon Crusted Mini Quiche

Writing a food blog is surprisingly a lot of work. I've spent most of my Saturday afternoon figuring out a photo editing program. I'm not very good with it, so I decided to make the auto fix option my best friend! David's brother's christmas gift (a 4 month bacon club subscription!) is the final catalyst for this much wanted blog. For the month of January we received a pound of applewood smoked bacon from Wisconsin.


Bacon is pretty much my favorite breakfast meat, so I decided to make it the crust of mini quiche, since I stay away from the traditional crust because I try not to eat gluten. The mini quiche came out adorable and savory!

Ingredients: 
  •  6 slices of bacon
  • 4 eggs
  • 4-5 green onions, chopped, white and green parts separated
  •  1 small shallot, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of cheese (I used a 3 blend cheese I found in the fridge)
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream
  • 1/2 tablespoon of butter
  • nonstick butter spray
  • salt & pepper

Heat the oven to 350° F. Place bacon in a single layer on a baking pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, saute the white parts of the onion and the shallot in butter. 


Coat the pan with the nonstick spray. Cut the bacon into thin strips (I used scissors) and arrange into the cups as pictured below, to form the crust of the quiche.


In a large bowl, mix the eggs with the onions, cream, cheese, and salt and pepper. Don't be too generous with the salt because the bacon will be salty!


Pour two tablespoons of the mixture into each cup. 

Bake at 350° F for about 15 minutes.

I love potatoes with my breakfast, but I didn't have any fresh ones. There was no way I was stepping out into the January cold on this fine Saturday morning, so I did the next best thing and made home potatoes out of crinkle cut frozen fries. 









1 comment: