Friday, January 4, 2013

Pan Seared Steak with Shallot-Brandy Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 4-5 oz. steaks (I used filet mignon. Flank steak is also a good option)
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of brandy
  • 1/4 cup of heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup of beef broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon of tapioca flour
  • salt & pepper


Sprinkle salt and pepper on the steaks and set aside.


Prepare the rest of the ingredients while the steak is resting. I used half a shallot, but I think a whole shallot will be more delicious. 



The brandy, cream, and shallots. The stars of the show. Well, besides the juicy steak.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Since my steak are about 1 inch thick, I cooked them about 5 minutes on each side for a medium to medium-rare steaks. I used this pan instead of my skillet because this one is awesome for deglazing.


Once done, set aside and cover. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put in my toaster oven so it will stay warm. Add the butter to the pan until melted. Then, cook the shallots for about 3 minutes until tender. 


Add the sugar and stir. Then, add the brandy and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the cream. At this point it seemed a bit watery and I didn't want my steak to get cold, so I slowly added the tapioca flour while I whisked to thicken it up. Add salt and pepper to taste. Slice the steaks and pour sauce over it.

I served it with sauteed pre-cut veggie mix and instant mashed potatoes, because I'm a lazy cook.


All done!




No comments:

Post a Comment